7 January 2016

Sinterklaas & Zwarte Piet(en) | TBT

Today it is time for another throwback Thursday! I love watching old pictures of other people, so I decided that this year I'd share some more of my own. Although today's picture is not from such a long time ago (only a month, but hey, it is from last year after all), I really like it. It is a picture from the beginning of December, when I played Zwarte Piet. Sinterklaas & Zwarte Piet is a Belgian/Dutch tradition where Sinterklaas and his friends (Zwarte Pieten) bring presents for the kids that have been good in the past year. 


Lately there has been a very interesting discussion about Sinterklaas & Zwarte Piet, because the Zwarte Pieten are black and some people see them as Sinterklaas's slaves. I get where they are coming from and I do think they have a point, but then again, I also feel like they are all just friends helping each other out and it is a nice tradition that the kids like it, so why not?! But hey, we'll see what hapens with it. I enjoyed playing Zwarte Piet and I made quite some kids happy that evening.


Do you celebrate Sinterklaas & Zwarte Piet and what's your opinion on this tradition?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your opinion!